Mom’s Day ’10

Lilly, the newest animal (and Tripper on the left)

What a wonderfully busy trip! I decided to forge North to visit family for the Mom’s day weekend. Afterall, I haven’t found a job yet, so why not?

Day one – Friday: Sunburned my arm in LA traffic. Mind-numbing drive up the I-5 Corridor. Turns out the central valley has turned against Boxer & Pelosi. After 7 hours of driving and a vigilant eye for cops, I arrive safe & sound – with no marks against my driving record. Off to the local eatery for a late dinner. I don’t make it in the door more than 4 feet and I’m recognized. He looks quite familiar, but I still have no idea who he is. I know I know him, but just no idea from where. I WILL figure it out.

Day two – Saturday: Supposed to meet an old friend for coffee. She unfortunately slept late (noon) so we decide on Monday after work, since I have a party/wake to attend.  

Day three – Sunday/Mother’s Day: Hang out with mom and then head over to see her parents. My grandmother, suffering from Alzheimer’s is fairly clear today, which is a nice treat. My grandfather STILL hasn’t accepted he needs hearing aids (after how many years??). He’s also in a lot of pain after tearing one of his toenails. He’s a diabetic, so this is especially dangerous for him. Also, he has had some unexplained swelling in one knee and ankle, so it was a fight to keep convincing him to elevate it. During the visit, I reset the digital photo frame I had got them for Christmas. This time I showed my mom what she could do to reset it. On the way home, we stopped and got me some lemon cucumber plant starts. I miss them!


Day four – Monday: my step-dad is off with a friend for a trip to Denver, so it’s just me and mom. We head to our favorite restaurant for lunch (artichoke soup and a grilled cheese with shrimp sandwich). We stop at a local goat farm and pick up some fresh goat cheese. Had it not been raining, it would have been great fun to wander with my camera. Flip flops + goat farm do not make a great combo. Next stop was my step-dad’s parents house. They are such fun!! It’s a bit saddening to compare them to my grandparents. They are both still mobile and going out and having a great time. My grandparents haven’t been mobile in some years, and never really went anywhere. At least not together. Sigh. Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Stopped on the way home to pick up some super-amazing sourdough bread from a local bakery. This stuff is AMAZING. Another new discovery: Almond Butter. YUM!!

Day five – Tuesday: Attempted to leave early for the drive home. Ended up leaving at 11:30. I discovered I can make it home from Santa Cruz on a tank of gas. I took Highway 1 as far as San Luis Obispo and restrained myself from stopping more than once for photos. I couldn’t get over how beautiful the scenery was.  Car after car had Texas plates. I wonder if that’s all they rented from the Monterey area? Or maybe there was some strange field trip I wasn’t aware of… I think they were all missing their mirrors since it took them FOREVER to let me by. I’m all for enjoying the scenery, but you really should do it from the turnouts instead of at 5 mph. After 9 hours, I made it home! There was only one accident causing a 10 minute delay. Otherwise, no traffic really (besides the Texans). I’ll leave you with my favorite picture…

Near Big Sur


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: